Four Score Years and Ten – Happy 90th Birthday Crosswoods

by Carl Llewellyn

Ninety years ago, on Monday 23 December 1929, Crosswoods food shop first opened its doors. It was the collaboration of David William Wood and William Joseph Cross, experienced in the grocery trade.

David William Wood was born in Montgomeryshire in 1885, and was educated at Corris Elementary School and Machynlleth County School. In 1902, aged 17, Wood entered the grocery and provision trade. He was employed at the time by the largest retailers in the North of England, an by 1909 he became manager of one of the largest branches. For a short time before the First World War he was in the employment of Messrs’ William Harris, Merthyr and then during the he served four and a half years with the Forces, and was twice mentioned in despatches, for meritorious service, gaining promotion to the rank of sergeant-major. After the war he returned to Merthyr Tydfil and continued to work for Messrs’ William Harris, and lived with his wife Elizabeth at Meliden, 5, Garth Villas, Near the General Hospital and attended Pontmorlais Chapel.

William Joseph Cross (known as Joe), was born 19 April 1900, His parents were John Cross and Ruth Rawlings, he was brought up at Cross Farm, Kingsland in Herefordshire. In 1913 when he was only 13 years old, he was sent to Merthyr Tydfil to work for C.M & R Gunson’s, at 68, High Street, a family Grocery, wine & spirit business. On 5 March 1918, he joined the Royal Navy as an ordinary seaman on the ship Victory. When he was demobbed on 6 February 1919, Cross returned to Merthyr Tydfil and resumed his employment with Gunson’s. On 27 August 1923 he married Ruby E Seaman and they lived at 7 Hampton Street, and they had one son Ernest George Woods, who was born 1926.

Having worked for the Gunson family most of his life (except for the period of his conscription), after Joe Cross had a disagreement with the family, so decided to investigate the possibility of opening a Grocery business of his own. Having worked in the local grocery industry he came in contact with David William Wood, then manager of one of Messrs William Harris shops, both men had similar business experiences in the grocery and provision trade.

Although Wood was older than Cross, their business backgrounds were similar, so they made the decision to go into partnership. Mr Wood and Mr Cross’s joint ambition was to serve the people of Merthyr Tydfil under the best possible hygienic conditions, a promise that was kept all through their working lives. After purchasing and renovating a premises at 67 High Street, Merthyr Tydfil, and making provisions for food stocks, a name had not yet been decided upon, an amalgamation of the two surnames Wood and Cross was suggested, after careful thought the name “Crosswoods” was decided upon.

Crosswoods in Merthyr High Street. Photo courtesy of the Alan George Archive

It was a terrific gamble due to the depression in the Merthyr Tydfil Borough, but Crosswords opened its doors on 23 December 1929, and it was through Mr Wood and Mr Cross’s courage, initiative and enterprise the business survived the difficulties of the time.

After the first shop was firmly established a second “Crosswoods” was opened in Aberdare at 25 Seymour Street in early 1930’s. Here again the progress in business was rapid, and proved conclusively that “Crosswoods” was appreciated by the public who could afford the best in foods. Mr Cross took charge of the establishment and moved to Aberdare, and lived at 5 Cledwyn Gardens. In spite of the depression Messrs “Crosswoods” had in a small space of twelve months built up a wonderfully successful high-class business: the secret of their success lying in that they only sold the best of everything; that they studied the art of display; the cleanliness of their establishments and the unfailing courtesy meted to the thousands that patronised their shops. They always excelled themselves in preparation for all seasons with everything required for provisions, groceries, confectionary and delicacies all being of superb quality.

In October 1938, to relieve pressure at Merthyr Tydfil’s “Crosswoods” a third shop was opened at Aberfan.  But after experiencing the business of Christmas of 1937 when pressure of business reached its peak, the firm were compelled to either consider expansion in both Merthyr and Aberdare shops or to deliberately curtail the size of their shops. The directors decided on the first course and Aberdare had its refurbished “Crosswoods” in September 1938, it was described as a shop worthy of the goods sold there. The Merthyr branch acquired 66,High Street and after renovations the shop opened its doors on Friday 25 November 1938. At the time “Crosswoods” was reputed as one of the finest food shops in Wales.

In a statement at the time, David W. Woods said:

“We have taken this step for more than one reason. Firstly, we feel we owe it to those who have put up with so much inconvenience at our old shops, particularly during the busy periods. Secondly, we are optimistic of Merthyr’s and future, and we know from experience that when they are prosperous only the best will satisfy Merthyr People. Thirdly, there is among all classes a rapidly developing pure foods consciousness and sensitiveness to the importance of Hygiene in our food stores.”          

Another innovation Crosswoods introduced in 1938, was a department specially designed for those on special diets and foods for the sick and convalescents. This department had two special features. Nothing would be on sale that did not bear that fullest recommendations of the medical profession, the department would be under the charge of a trained nurse who has specialised in dietetics.

Having had three shops already Merthyr, Aberdare, and Aberfan “Crosswoods” expanded to four shops when a branch was opened in Tredegar after the Second World War.

Crosswoods Staff Dinner in 1940. W J. Cross and D.W Woods are sitting at the head of the table

Crosswoods had been conscious for a very long time about opening of a modern and up-to-date bakery, so, in March 1954, Crosswoods opened their very own bakery behind their shop at 25 Seymour Street, Aberdare. This venture meant they could expand their own products. The occasion was marked by the Mayor of Merthyr officially opening the new bakery. Following the opening ceremony a luncheon was held at the Boot Hotel, Aberdare.

In the early 1950’s Mr Oswald May joined Crosswords, he became General Manager, and later a director of the company. Mr May continued as a company director until his death in 1971. Mr May’s son John Philip May known as Philip, became the company secretary and later in 1959 a director of company.

Philip and Oswald May

Most of the Crosswoods stores eventually closed due to competition from large supermarkets and, by the late 1970s, closed leaving Merthyr’s Crosswoods the only one to survive.

After over forty years at Nos 66 and 67 High Street, Crosswoods moved to Newmarket Walk, Merthyr Tydfil but it only remained there a short period before moving to Victoria Street where it remains today.

Lisa Jones a former Saturday girl, was just 16 and still at school when she joined Crosswoods in 1989. Lisa subsequently bought the business from Philip May in 2003. Since then, Crosswoods has gone from strength to strength, currently employing over 13 members of staff

Crosswoods recently moved to a larger premises three doors away with the aim of introducing new services such as a hot food counter. Since Crosswood’s beginning, customer care and courtesy have been paramount and food quality is of the highest standard – this is still maintained to this day.

Remembering the Fallen

by Dr Meilyr Powel

Over the past few months I’ve been working on a small project to re-house a war memorial from the First World War. The plaque commemorates three members of Elizabeth Street Presbyterian Church, Dowlais, who were killed during the war: Able Seaman David Albert Stephens; Private Archie Vincent Evans; and Second Lieutenant Thomas Glyn Nicholas.

The plaque was discovered in a second hand ‘junk’ sale, and together with my supervisor at the time at Swansea University, Dr Gethin Matthews, we applied for a collaborative research grant from the First World War Network to re-house the memorial as an exhibition at Cyfarthfa Castle, Merthyr.

The project has now been completed, with the exhibition being unveiled to the public on Saturday 4 May during an afternoon of talks on Merthyr and the First World War. Two information panels accompany the display of the plaque, along with the production of a small booklet with additional information on the three men and war memorials in general.

The first name that appears on the war memorial plaque is that of David Albert Stephens. After doing some research, we know now that Able Seaman D. Albert Stephens was killed in the largest sea battle of the war, at Jutland on 31 May 1916. Albert, originally from Llandovery, married Dowlais born Catherine and had two young children, Katie and Thomas. They were all bilingual and Albert worked as a stoker in the local iron works when war broke out.

At Jutland, Albert was a gunner on board HMS Invincible, part of Rear Admiral Horace Hood’s 3rd Battlecruiser  Squadron, when it was hit in the turret amidships, which detonated the magazines below, caused a huge explosion, and split the ship in two before sinking. It took just 90 seconds for the Invincible to sink. Thousands of sailors perished at this fateful battle. Indeed, the Battle of Jutland involved around 100,000 men in 151 British and 99 German ships, and lasted 72 hours with over 8,000 shells fired. Only six out of 1,032 crew members of the Invincible survived, but Albert wasn’t one of them. His name also appears on Plymouth Naval Memorial.

Private Archie Vincent Evans is the second name on the memorial. Archie was born in 1892 in Treorchy to Thomas and Henrietta Evans.  He had three younger brothers, Tom, Trevor, and Harold, and lived at Lower Union Street, having previously lived at Horse Street. Archie and his parents were bilingual, although his brothers were noted as English speaking only. His father, Thomas, was a restaurant owner and former rail inspector, while Archie himself worked as a grocer’s assistant with William Harris and Sons in Alma Street.

Archie served with the 9th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, which was part of 36 Infantry Brigade, 12th (Eastern) Division. It appears he was conscripted to the army in 1916, and in October that year his battalion launched an attack at Le Transloy, just west of the village of Gueudecourt on the Somme. The attack was a total failure, the battalion losing 15 officers and 250 other ranks that day. Archie, just twenty-four years old, was killed in the attack. His name also appears on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme.

Second Lieutenant Thomas Glyn Nicholas is the last name on the memorial. The son of Thomas Richard and Mary Jane Nicholas, and brother of Rees and Dilys, Thomas was articled to the solicitors D. W. Jones and Co. before volunteering for service in the army. His father had been a clerk at Lloyd’s Bank. Thomas was educated at Merthyr County School and Worcester Grammar School and seemed set for a long career in the legal profession before the war began.

Following the outbreak of war, duty called for Thomas, and on 15 July 1915 he received his commission as a Second Lieutenant. He was assigned to the 18th Battalion (2nd Glamorgan) Welsh Regiment. This battalion was formed in Cardiff in January 1915 as a Bantam Battalion, a battalion which had lowered the minimum height requirement for recruits from five foot three to five feet. However, he was soon attached to the 14th Battalion (Swansea Pals) Welsh Regiment.

Thomas was part of a working party with the 14th Battalion when he was killed in February 1917 at East Canal Bank on the Ypres Salient. Thomas was the only man in the battalion killed or wounded that day. He was just twenty years old. He is buried in Bard Cottage, Belgium, and his name also appears on Merthyr County School’s own memorial.

The Merthyr Express reported Thomas’ death and quoted Lieutenant-Colonel J. H. Hayes, writing to Thomas’ parents: ‘His death will be a great loss to the battalion. He was always cheerful under all conditions, however bad they were. I looked upon him as one of my most promising young officers.’

Elizabeth Street Church remembers

After the war, state and civil institutions began to commemorate the dead. Cenotaphs were erected in many towns and cities, with London’s Whitehall Cenotaph, unveiled on 11 November 1920, providing an official site of remembrance for the British, and later Commonwealth, dead. Many of the public monuments built in towns and villages throughout Wales were subsequently based on Edwin Lutyens’ design of the Whitehall Cenotaph.

Churches, schools, clubs, and societies also honoured their members who were killed during the war. Around 35,000 Welshmen were killed during the First World War and many of them are remembered on plaques such as this, from Elizabeth Street Presbyterian Church, Dowlais.

Rev Thomas James

David Albert Stephens, Archie Vincent Evans, and Thomas Glyn Nicholas were not the only members of their church to have served during the war.

In addition to several other members, the minister himself, the Reverend Thomas James, joined the Royal Army Medical Corps and served on both the French and Italian fronts.

This memorial plaque is representative of hundreds of chapels and churches across Wales which saw their members enlist in the forces during the First World War. The fact that so many Welshmen did not return home is testimony to the devastating impact of the war on communities across the country. In one church in Dowlais, it was felt deeply.

Elizabeth Street Chapel, Dowlais